Our lodge came into existence on July 10, 1944, at Camp Hinds, when the first seven members were inducted into the Order of the Arrow. These charter members of our lodge were Howard Butler (the Camp Director from 1944 to 1947), Frank W.P. Bailey, Fred Foster, Lee Weeks, Phil Foss, Jordan Prouty and Arthur Berry. The induction team included Pine Tree Scout Executive Percy Dunne, Hinds Waterfront Director George Anderson (who was from Pamola Lodge) and Senior Camp (Tenny) Director Dr. Nickles.
As a part of their ordeal, these candidates were directed to prepare a ceremonial area on the hill just south of the present Cadigan lodge and to construct an alter fireplace and ceremonial alter.
At that time we took the name Madockawanda, based upon a story told by Uncle Frank Bailey about the great Indian Chief Madockawanda who unified the Penobscot Nation.
Frank Bailey, one of the founders of Camp Hinds and a 30-year staff member, became our first Lodge adviser. He served in that capacity until 1957. Fred Foster was the ranger at Camp Hinds through the mid-1960s and was responsible for the remodeling of Berry Farm, which we know today as the training center. Lee Weeks has remained active in Scouting, serving as Council Activities Chairman in past years.
The snapping turtle was taken as the totem of our Lodge, and the clap 1, 1-2 as our lodge clap. Our founders were unaware at the time that the turtle was also the totem of Unami Lodge #1. Frank Bailey drew up a set of bylaws for the Lodge, which were later found to be remarkably similar to the National Rules.
During that early period, the Order of the Arrow was almost entirely a summertime program. Elections and inductions were held every two weeks during the summer season. Since most Scouts came to camp as provisional campers at that time, the elections were held in the six provisional units: MacArthur, Boone, Byrd, Peary, Pershing, and MacMillan, and at the “Senior Camp” across the river. The occasional troop camping as a unit could also hold elections. Following National policy, no elections were held outside of the summer camp season.
Camp Bomazeen opened in the summer of 1946 and the Bomazeen chapter of the Lodge was started in 1949. Jaro Konecny of Salem, Maine, one of the camp’s founders, served as an OA adviser at Bomazeen.
The two council camps operated as two chapters of the Lodge. This was expanded to three chapters in 1950 when Camp Nutter was open as a full-time council camp and a chapter was established there. Camp Nutter dates back to the 1930s when York County was a separate council operating its own camp. At that time the OA was not the only organization in Scouting for recognizing honor campers.
Since York District had previously adopted the “Nikiwigi,” another Scouting National Honor Society, as their program for honor Scouts and Scouters, there was a period of negotiation required before the Camp Nutter Chapter of the Lodge replaced the Nikiwigi tribe. The chapter was active, however, for only a few years before full-time summer operation of Camp Nutter ceased to be practical.
The separate chapters met as a Lodge once a year, during the Christmas school vacation, when it held its annual meeting for fellowship and election of Lodge officers. We do not have complete records of who our Lodge officers were during those years, since an overzealous assistant scout executive cleaned out the Lodge file at the Council office in the early 1970s. While efforts to gain historical records have been moderately successful recently, there is still much left in question.
In 1952, the Lodge sent a team to Camp Sachem in Antrim, New Hampshire, to induct their candidates into the Order. While this new Lodge did not immediately replace the Nikiwigi Tribe at Camp Sachem, it would by 1963. The team members were Frank Bailey, Clyde Nason, Jr., Al Elliot, and Wayne McDuffie. All were staff members at Camp Hinds.
By the mid-1950s, the ordeals had been expanded to include June and September work parties at each camp, as well as ordeals every two weeks during the summer season. Each chapter had a well-trained ceremonial team consisting largely of camp staff members. Early tapout ceremonies (now calling-out ceremonies) at Camp Hinds were held at the parade ground. The chief came by canoe from Chipmunk point, climbed the bank to the assembled troops, and tapped out those who had been elected. By the early 1950s, the tapout had become part of an elaborate Indian campfire.
These ordeals at both Hinds and Bomazeen were held every two weeks because, in those days of provisional camping, most Scouts attended camp for two weeks at a time and the elections were held during the second week of the cycle.
By 1955, the move was on nationally to get more Scout troops to come to camp as units under their own leadership. Hinds and Bomazeen gradually moved from camps with 90% provisional campers to 90% troop camping in the mid-1960s. With this change came major revision in the procedures used by the Lodge, too. National rules dictated that elections must be held in the home troop, not at summer camp, although for many years some troops still came to camp expecting to have an OA elections there. Some ideas die hard!
The chapters of our Lodge then had to subdivide to provide for election and camp promotion teams in every district, of which the council then had eight. (Do you remember the Sebago or Quabacook Districts?) For several years we had both “Camp” chapters and “District” chapters functioning together, with two Lodge Vice Chiefs each supervising the districts closest to his camp. From 1975 through 1979 there were two Lodge Vice Chiefs elected each year, one to supervise the Camp Hinds sector of the Lodge, the other to supervise the Bomazeen chapters. Meetings were held at district roundtables to inform Scoutmasters of the new procedures and we began to hold OA elections only at troop meetings within the districts.
Since all the candidates had already been elected before going to summer camp, most of them began coming to the June ordeal weekends instead of waiting until their troop went to camp. The need for summertime ceremonies were gradually eliminated. There have been several attempts in recent years to hold midsummer ordeals, but the difficulty in fitting that program into an already crowded camp schedule has proven hard to overcome.